Sunday, December 30, 2012

2013 TBR Pile Challenge




About:
Yahoo!  That special time of year has come around again!  It’s the time when we’re all frantically scanning the book blog-o-sphere for challenges that we might want to compete in next year.  
This is my fourth year hosting and participating in the annual “TBR Pile Challenge.”  It started after I realized I had such an issue buying books but never reading them (not because I don’t read – but because I have so many!).  So, year after year, books would sit on my shelf, untouched, and I would end up reading newer ones first.  I realized I was missing out on a lot of great books because I let them sit there gathering dust instead of reading them as I bought them.
The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).
Specifics:
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2012 or later (any book published in the year 2011 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile – I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.
2.  To be eligible, you must sign-up with Mr. Linky below – link to your list (so create it ahead of time!) and add updated links to each book’s review.  Every listed book must be completed and must be reviewed (doesn’t have to be too fancy) in order to count as completed.
3.  The link you post in the Mr. Linky below must be to your “master list” (see mine below).  This is where you will keep track of your books completed, crossing them out and/or dating them as you go along, and updating the list with the links to each review (so there’s one easy, convenient way to find your list and all your reviews for the challenge).  See THIS LINK for an idea of what I mean.  Your list must be completed by December 31st, 2012.
4. Leave comments on this post as you go along, to update us on your status. Come back here if/when you complete this challenge and leave a comment indicating that you CONQUERED YOUR 2013 TBR LIST!  Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from Amazon.com or The Book Depository!
5. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published pre-2012!
*Note – You can read the books on your list in any order; they do not need to be read in the order you have them listed. As you complete a book – review it, and go back to your original list and turn that title into a link to the review - that will keep the comments section here from getting ridiculously cluttered.  For an example of what I mean, Click Here.
UPDATE:  I’ve decided to make a small change/addition to this year’s challenge.  On the 15th of each month, I’m going to post a “TBR Pile Check-In.”  This will allow participants to link-up their reviews from the past month and get some recognition for their progress.  There will also be small mini-challenges and giveaways to go along with these posts (Such As: Read 6 books by the June Check-in and be entered to win a book of your choice!).  I’m hoping this will help to keep us all on track and make the challenge a bit more engaging/interactive. If it goes well, maybe I’ll keep this format for future years.
1. Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown 
2. P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern 
3. Northern Lights by Nora Roberts 
4. Wild Rain by Christine Feehan
5. Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
6. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
7. The Dead Girls’ Dance by Rachel Caine
8. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
9. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
10. 2 Chance by James Patterson
11. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
12. Honeymoon by James Patterson

2 comments:

  1. I have only read one book on that list, Da Vinci Code, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I have read all the books in that series and am looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're joining us for the 2013 TBR Pile Challenge!

    I also enjoyed The Da Vinci Code (as well as Angels & Demons and The Lost Symbol). They're probably my favorite guilty pleasures...

    City of Bones was good, too (and City of Ashes). I hope to read the next one, City of Glass, sometime in the coming year.

    Good luck! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on these.

    ReplyDelete