Friday, November 11, 2011

Stepahnie Plum the movie



One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

I know I'm late but they have release the trailer for Janet Evanovich's One for the Money. The movie is based on the first book in the Stephanie Plum series that is 18 books deep now. Explosive Eighteen is slated for release on November 22nd. I have to read the Plum series from the beginning. I listened to most of the series on audiobooks. If any of you have ever listened to an audiobook you know that the narrator makes or breaks the book. The narrator for the first couple of books was flat but the Lorelei King either found her voice (since I'm not sure she hasn't narrated the whole series) or she saved the series in audiobook format. She gives the story life something that was missing in the first couple of books. Anyway on to the movie.

I am not thrilled. I watched the trailer and it did not have me wanting to see the movie. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to wait for the DVD. So here's what I think. The Plum series would work better as a tv show. Not everything work as a movie. And if they wanted to go the movie right I would've done a HBO, Showtime, or even Lifetime movie. Hey it works for Nora Roberts. It was the right decision for her to make. Like I said, the Plum series would have been great for tv. There are many cop/detective/crime shows but none that has the comedic action that make the Plum series different from the pack.

I am also not in love with the casting choices. Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum. She may be ok but I know that Sandra Bullock would've nailed it. I know y'all may disagree but Julia Roberts would've done a good job. And believe it or not Alyssa Milano would've made a great Stephanie. Yeah I said it, Alyssa Milano! Jason O'Mara as Joe Morelli. Eh, I think this may work. He is cute and a little rugged looking. He can pass as a cute cop. Daniel Sunjata as Ranger is a no. Sunjata is cute. He is sexy. But he is NOT Ranger. Rey Curtis, Mario Lopez, Benjamin Bratt there's more but you get the point. Ranger is suppose to...well...make us have to change our panties. And Sunjata just doesn't do that. The actress who's playing Connie doesn't quite fit the image either.

What they may have gotten right. Sherri Shepherd as Lula. Sherri is funny and will probably bring the sass and attitude that is Lula. By the way, Lula is favorite character (ok so Ranger is but we're not counting him). Debbie Reynolds as Grandma Mazur seem to be a good fit from looking at the trailer.

Watch the trailer and let me know what you think. I just think they could've done better. All these books and years to think about making the books at "reality" and this is what they came up with. For all you authors out there, when you are contemplating making your books into a movie consult your fans. Yes it's your vision but we are the audience. We are the people you are trying to get double the money out of (paying for the book & paying to see the movie). Listening to us, take what we want in consideration and you'll probably be rewarded in sales.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I haven't read ANY of the Stephanie Plum series!! I plan on reading all the books (if I like them) once I finish all the Alex Cross books.

    Even though I don't know anything about the characters, I agree that Katherine Heigl is a bad choice. I'm not the biggest fan of hers anyway!

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good series. It gets better as it goes along. I haven't read any of the new ones. Thats on my list but it is almost time to wrap the series up

    ReplyDelete