Thursday, May 19, 2011

Booking Through Thursday May 19



Booking Through Thursday is a meme hosted here

This weeks question:

In contrast to last week’s question–What do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?

Yes I absolutely do. I'm going back to read The Babysitters Club series for YA of the 80s and 90s Reading Challenge. If it wasn't for that challenge I probably wouldn't re-read those books as I feel I'm too old for them. I definite wouldn't read any meant for an even younger age than that.

As far as censoring books no I don't believe in it, for the most part. Should a young child read some of the urban fiction or erotica books I read, no. However, I think most books that have been censored are not censored because it's explicit but because it deals with uncomfortable situations such as religion, sexuality, and such.

4 comments:

  1. I think the distinction you draw between censored content and "censored because it's uncomfortable" is precisely the heart of the matter!
    also, looking around your blog, I love the book challenge mirroring the Hogwarts' curriculum! How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a very personal question. It is interesting to read all the answers.

    If you are interested, my answer is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great response.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do not think censoring is a good idea - how are we supposed to learn if we cannot hear all the ideas and opinions out there.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-18.html

    ReplyDelete